Monday, September 27, 2010

More on being rich

27 September 2010 – I am reading Mad as Hell (MaH) , a book written by an independent (Rasmussen) and a moderate democratic (Schoen) pollster about the emergence of the Tea Party. Today I am going through the first few chapters, wherein they describe and recount the “causes” of the rise of the TP – one of which seems at odds with what I wrote last week about being rich. MaH imparts the impression of a great loss of living standard in the country. If my liberal friends happen on this book they would through all the statistics in my face and demand an explanation as to my claim that we are mostly “rich” in this society. My response is straightforward. To reach a natural end of life an individual needs food and shelter, and perhaps some medical attention (emergency rooms are, by law, open to all) from time to time. I argue: Decent provision of these items is possible on modest incomes. Modest additional expenditure brings a wide variety of cultural and educational opportunities. For me, this is being rich, because an individual has the opportunity to make of herself whatever she wishes. Only when we accept argument (advertisements) that define the good life as acquiring – at substantial cost – some additional material good do we become entangled in endless arguments about what it takes to be rich. If I can obtain and read any book, attend community college, interact with persons the world over, and express my views to the entire world – all at virtually no cost – then I not only have the power to shape my own destiny but also to encourage others to do the same. Having accepted the former premise has led me to reject the notion that I need big government to watch over me, helping me all the time, prescribing what medical coverage I should have, etc, etc. Having rejected these notions, I view the government as most useful in developing consensual standards but not expensive mandates, defending legal rights of individuals, and defense of the nation. I surely don’t need the tax burden imposed in order to support things I don’t need.
Sure, we have gotten ourselves into some expensive traps (Medicare, Medicaid, and Social Security), but having done so only creates the interesting problem of how to transform these traps into important opportunities for change and improving our nation. Solving these problems will involve some costs and sacrifices, but the sooner we start the sooner things will start improving. As a person on the leading edge of the boomer generation, I respectfully submit that we boomers make the most sacrifices.

Thought for the day: A book is like a clutch -- it helps put the mind in gear.

No comments:

Post a Comment