Saturday, September 4, 2010

Stage 19 -- Long Leaf Trace, MS [WAS-20, USA-nil]

4 September 2010 -- A day that started in a disappointing way ended quite nicely. We left Vicksburg looking for a route toward Prentiss where I hoped to take the Long Leaf Trace tomorrow. We could not find any road that had a discernible shoulder. Part way down we stopped and decided to go on a couple of “county-type” roads, which have no shoulders but also very little traffic. We were specifically looking for 478. We never did find it and ended up driving to Prentiss, arriving by 1030, so I decided to do the Long Leaf Trace today. With a little trepidation I sent my Dad off to Hattiesburg 43 miles to the south via two roads clearly marked (by me) on the map. Off he went and I later learned he did get lost and had a side trip to Columbia – about 30 miles to the west of Hattiesburg. Fortunately, he was set straight on an Interstate and only had minor problems finding the trail end in Hattiesburg proper. With all this he only had to wait an hour for me at the trailhead and he was right where I expected him to be. The trail turned out to be another Mississippi gem. It was 43 paved miles with light bicycle traffic. The best part of all was that the Trail is essentially down hill all the way from Prentiss to Hattiesburg. Whoppee. I have mapped two routes for the next two days – one from Lumberton to Nicholson, and the other from just west of Pearlington into New Orleans. By my calculations, I will hit 800 miles the second time around Jackson Square. New Orleans I am expecting a big welcome. Water balloons (remember please toss those cheap easy to break Chinese balloons underhand) welcome.

Thought for the day: When your Dad gets tired you have to get him to bed, when he’s ready to go home you have to start the trip home.

Response to Geoff – You go man. How are the classes and university work working out.

No comments:

Post a Comment