Friday, September 3, 2010

Stages 17 and 18 -- Greenville gems [WAS-19, USA-0]

2 and 3 September 2010 -- On rest day we found a DaysInn in Greenville for two nights. Greenville is now a town mostly situated along route 82/278 and Mississippi 1, with an old downtown that is struggling to survive. It’s sad to see so many fine old brick buildings empty and deteriorating but we live by our cars and the highways bypass downtown. We stayed two nights in Greenville so I could bike down to town from Rosedale in the north on the 2nd, stay a night and then bike south to Vicksburg on the 3rd. All but 20 miles (Highway 61) of these 90 miles were done on Mississippi 1, part of the MRT. Tonight I am posting a video on YouTube about Mississippi 1 – it will be called “The Tour to New Orleans from Mississippi 1”. The first night in Greenville we were driving around looking for a place to eat. A lot of fast food on the two highways, but not much in the way of restaurants. So we turned on Magellan and looked for restaurants. There was a list of types, among them Italian – and I asked Dad if he would like Italian. “I love Italian” he says, so I tap that choice and up pops Fermos Italian Restaurant – the only choice for Greenville. What the heck, I am not opposed to technology so I tap it as our destination. Off we go (the whole 1.6 miles from our current location to this old building on 82 with the sign Keppler’s Italian on it. It’s not Fermos, but it is Italian and Magellan said to come here so we go in. It’s a big place. It was a gem for us because on our long trip down from the border, the number of distinguished meals have been small. Yeah there was that French place in Grand Marais, but otherwise it’s family style or maybe a chain. Here in Greenville, Keppler, a friendly and helpful young guy (he ran after Dad with his cap, the cap having found its way off Dad’s lap to some other location), trying to make it in the toughest business in America. The food was solidly good – we ate there both nights, and Keppler agreed to let me talk about his place by name. [By the way Keppler, you can quote me on all of this.]. Anyway if you’re in Greenville, give Keppler’s a try.

The next morning we drove up to Rosedale and I biked back to Greenville. Near Lake Bolivar I met Steve as he was pulling out of a field of cotton much like that grown in Arizona. So I wheeled around and asked him about the short stuff we had seen along highway 61. “Different varieties” he says and so we talk for a while. Steve was nice enough to offer water, but that’s not usually a problem with Dad in the car only a few miles away, and the cooler in the car always stuffed with cold drinks. I asked him about Lake Bolivar – he told me the name as I was still thinking it was the Mississippi – and said it used to be the main channel of the Mississippi but was now completely cut off. A lot of that goes on along this river. I hope you read this Steve – it was a very good moment for me.

Today we traveled our longest distance. It was great. It’s all on the video. One thing that’s not on the video is the fact that right after I finished taking all the clips and Dad had driven off into the future, I crossed into Issaquena County and Mississippi 1 turned quite unsuitable for road biking. So it goes.

Thought for the day: I never imagined that one day crossing into Issaquena County would mark the- end of an extended great moment for me.

1 comment: