Sunday, July 18, 2010

The 218 Society

18 July 2010 – It is reported a malaise is upon the land. There’s a lot of talk about the country being past its prime. Excuse me, but I want to see for myself. Before last summer and the spontaneous emergence of the so-called “tea party” I felt angry about disconnects between my life and what politicians in the D.C. from both parties identified as important. As a statistician by trade I began to think about all the numbers floating around (At the time, pundits and fear-mongering panderers on both sides tossed around trillion-dollar bombs as if they were trifles). The more I thought, the more a single number came to mind – 218. Here’s the reason: two hundred and eighteen like-minded persons can control the spending on the federal government. This is so because the House of Representatives controls the budget, and 218 is the number that controls the House. So now I am waiting for the rest of the country to realize that electing 218 fiscally sane persons is the simplest path to real change in the direction of the country. An ancillary goal of the Tour is to talk up this idea with ordinary folks, and get their reaction to it. I even have a name for the idea – the 218 Society.

Thought for the day: Lighten up. If you will I will.

No comments:

Post a Comment