Monday, July 12, 2010

Preparations

12 July 2010 – Being 65, I began early to become more or less ready for this trip. A year ago I was at nine minutes on a stationary bike and 65 pounds overweight. That bike was boring; so after 3 months I gave it away and bought a Trek 1.2 from Landis Cyclery. Today I am 37 pounds over and cycling 20 miles a day in Tempe. It’s hot, so I start early. At the ready are my spare wheel sets, tires, tubes, tools, extra spokes, flashers, shoes and clips, an indispensable pair of padded shorts, and water. Vanessa helped me choose this stuff. Jori and Jim at Landis did their best to teach me to maintain my bike. I am waiting for my Tour t-shirts from Brand-X Custom T-Shirts. I like my logo and will post an image in due time. In addition to the $2500 I have spent on the bike, the t-shirts, and the spare parts, I have yet to buy a laptop for the trip, but have saved what I judge to be enough money to cover expenses. Nevertheless, I have selected the option to permit advertising on this page – income will first defray costs; all of the rest will go to support a non-profit that supports dialysis for those in need.
Thought for today: Long complex experiences are always comprised of many, and much simpler, events.

No comments:

Post a Comment