Friday, July 16, 2010

Inertia and Inexorability

16 July 2010 – Yesterday I did my sixth day in a row at 20 miles. I felt good. Today inertia returned. I woke late (0600), thought about my 0730 breakfast with friends Frank and Mike, the 1100 lunch with Jennifer and Jasmine, having to get a new ID, and how hot it would be (100+ F) and blew off the ride. Inertia is a challenge. A year ago, the greatest difficulty was actually getting on the stationary bike and pedaling. Nevertheless, I did build up a bit of a routine. Some thing would come up (a business trip, a cold, a trip to Spain). Inertia returned as strong as ever, having to be overcome again. Inexorability became the antidote, but I claim no responsibility for this state of affairs. It’s true that I was responsible for talking to friends about really doing the trip. I didn't expect what happened after. They started asking questions: Have you been exercising (not yet, but I will soon [and did]); what kind of bicycle will you get (I don’t know but someone will know something [Jaymie did]); what’s your route (I can’t tell you, but I am going from one side of the country to the other); when are you doing this (next [now this] summer}; who is going with you (No one. Do you want to come?). As I worked to have an answer to each question that came up, I moved inexorably closer to actually being prepared and starting. Now it’s mere weeks away. Yikes!
Thought for today: Thank friends when their curiosity helps move your plans forward. Thanks Friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment