Saturday, July 31, 2010

Rain

31 July 2010 -- Got up at five and was on the road at 5:10. Shiri-miri in the air (a light misting rain). It was cool, a little breeze, but dark clouds on the western side of town. I went about a mile and a half east, turned north, and just then shiri-miri turned into a typical Arizona rain – big drops pretty far apart. A mile later it was a steady rain – smaller drops but more dense. In a half a mile I was drenched, my back had a black streak all the way up from wet grit thrown up from the street, and I started to get chilled. This is hard to process in Arizona, but after walking the Pacific Crest Trail with brother Rick, I am sensitive to any signs of hypothermia. Manning on, I finished one loop, and then chose to not do a second one. It was the first rain I have ridden in, and I thought the revelation that I could do ten miles in the rain without rain gear was enough learning for today.

Thought for the day: If rain is probable, perhaps you should bring you're rain gear.

No comments:

Post a Comment