Tuesday, July 27, 2010

When I ride I don't always think about the bike or the road

27 July 2010 -- I don’t know if it is a sign of age, experience gained by years of observation, or something else but I am disgusted by policy arguments framed by our two major political parties. I think I have reached the core of the problem. Each of the two sides frame their arguments as two-sided with one choice deliberately skewed to make its side look good, and the other choice and side look bad. Are you for the rich or everyone else? Are you compassionate or not? Are you frugal or not? Either you help the millions without health insurance or you are evil. I have had enough. Take compassion. I am as compassionate as the next person and would like to see a helping society, but I must limit my compassion to choices that do not leave future generations impoverished and with fewer choices. I also have three views about taxes that support our government’s efforts to enable a helping society. First, taxes are takings, and so it is preferable to have them be voluntary. Second, in a democratic, participatory, republic, everyone must pay taxes (though there may be some progressivity in my opinion), so they have a deeper understanding of their pain. Third, punitive taxes on legal products are evil – whether you buy the product or not. I also believe free markets (even with all the evils of greed and chicanery) are better than non free markets (in which the evils of greed and chicanery still exist but are hidden from view). Since neither of the two major political parties will address our societal needs with fiscal soundness at levels of taxation that are acceptable to all the people, I have come to the conclusion that it is time for a new political party.

Thought for the day: The most important cause of the increase in U.S. life expectancy is better medicine, not more insurance.

No comments:

Post a Comment