Sunday, August 1, 2010

Better men than me

1 August 2010 – Today I pedaled 40 miles for the first time and had energy and daylight to spare. My state of mind and body lead me to believe I will be able to do 40 to 60 miles per day on the Tour. Sixty would be great because it would cut my time on the road by a third. Achieving a goal is always immensely satisfying for me, as the act of achievement establishes both the ability to overcome inertia and to press one’s personal capabilities to some new boundaries. At the same time, I remain realistic and keep in mind that my 65-year-old body has to be respected for what it can and cannot do. I have the greatest respect for Armstrong Schleck and Contador for their ability to go up mountains the way they do. Lance in his prime – and post cancer and post operations – will always be a hero to me, as words do not do justice to his capability. Others have affected me similarly -- mothers carrying, delivering and caring for children for one – and two-sheet, half inch plywood carriers for carpenters in the Arizona construction industry for another. All are capabilities I know I never nor ever will have. On the other hand, I now believe I can make it across the country on a bicycle. God grant those who pass me the awareness of the limitations of bicycles and the wisdom to act accordingly.

Thought for the day: It bears repeating. Many complex activities are just a long series of much simpler events.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Bill,

    Mick Verdi shared your link. Looks like a fun trip. If you ever want to do RAGBRAI (ride across Iowa) some summer, let me know.

    Dan Robinson

    ReplyDelete