Sunday, August 22, 2010

Stage 7 -Shadow of a hawk, Valley of butterflies [WAS-8, USA-nil]

22 August2010 -- I wake with severe, immobilizing, back pain (SIBP) and think, with regret, guilt, and some shame, that I may give up. I get up, pee, dress. SIPB. I load the car. SIBP. We go to breakfast. SIPB. We drive to the start point. SIBP. I finish gearing up and do a test ride. No SIBP. I start up the road. A hawk takes off and flies just over my head, turning to the same direction I am going but drifting left, and beating higher. His shadow beats along just in front, getting smaller, then it’s gone. I feel better in my mind. I keep on for a couple of miles and I see what I believe is a dark branch or pipe ahead on the shoulder. A shift of my hands veers the bike enough to the left that I will miss it. At the moment just before I pass, the stick bends in the middle, the front rears up and bends back towards the grass. It is the first and biggest garter snack I have seen in 40 years. A couple of pit stops and many miles down the road I pass through a small valley populated by thousands upon thousands of yellow and white butterflies. The road and shoulder is littered with those that interacted with man and his machines. One flies off my right shoulder for two or three pedals before being left behind. One flies right in front of me, gets caught in a swirl of wind above my heart, stays there for one or two heartbeats, then flies up and over my left shoulder. I am near to tears of joy.

Thought for the day: The life of the butterfly is short, sweet and simple. What do we have that’s so much better.

1 comment:

  1. Has the SIBP returned? Sounds like your riding was just the treatment you needed this morning. I've been following your blog regularly and have enjoyed your observations from the road. Today sounds as if it was a special day, but then I suspect everyday of this adventure is special in some way. You motivated me to get out on the road today for a long ride. Keep up the battle! How about sharing your location each day so we can track your progress?

    ReplyDelete