Thursday, August 19, 2010

Stage 4 -- A good day [Score WAS -5, USA -nil]

19 August 2010 – The ride was very good. Cloudy, temperature (start-67, end-74), light breeze most of the time from the east, flat roads, all made for the best ride to date. I was even able to remember that yesterday we met Cliff (a better man than me) who has riden across the country twice and is currently on a trip from his hometown of Williston North Dakota to New York City – all on a reclined bicycle. When we met he was looking for a shortcut to Hayward. We couldn’t help (as our experience with County Road H taught us). A glitch in plans arose when Dad forgot to check his watch as he went up the road. Six to eight minutes usually puts him 10-12 miles ahead (my ten-mile practice loops in Tempe make me pretty sensitive to going further without a stop, but the hills here add some uncertainty. Still, at one point I was certain that I had gone well past his usual stopping distance. I called him up (yeah that works) and after a fruitless conversation I said “I’ll call you back in a couple of minutes”. I got back on the bike and proceeded around the next corner looking for a landmark for him. There he was, maybe 300 yards away from where I called from. All’s well. By my estimate it will be six more days in this state. I also met a nice couple doing a massive load of laundry. I told them about the Tour and waterballoons and they said they would check out the blog when they return to Iowa. I wish I could remember their names. I asked them if they voted for Obama and the gentleman cracked me up when he said, “the first time.”

Thought for the day: Politicians – phooey, responsible citizens – yeah.

No comments:

Post a Comment