Sunday, August 15, 2010

Stage One Done. Score: Bill 1, USA Nil. Yeah!

15 August 2010 -- Took video of the border station and pointed the Flip toward a big clue on the right and toward the state welcome sign further to the right. It will be on YouTube. At 0900 I left. Four hours and twenty minutes I later I arrived at the city limits of my destination. A cold wind (estimated at 25-35 mph) blew into my face the entire time. After carefully laying out with him the places I would have liked Dad to stop, he stopped where he wanted (as I say, Do what you want, you will anyway.) Some trial bike energy foods turned out to be great, as did the warm van when I could find it. My back felt fine as I was riding -- this evening too. We’ll test it in the morning. I keep thinking of those German U-boat sailors in the movie Das Boot, whose singing echos though the U-boat, down through time, and in my mind: It’s a long way to Tipperary, It’s a long way to Tipperary, It’s a long way to go….

Management, staff and participants (me, me, me) of the Tour did not create any concrete rules for dealing with adversity, however, by consensus, they all agreed to consider the Tour a work in progress and develop a process to deal --supposedly in a rationale way -- with issues as they arise (a nod of the cap to Jerry – one of those old men who refused to ride along). Gee, I hope this process is a lot more rational than Congress dealing with the economy. Spend. Spend. Spend!

Thought for the day: I don’t think Stage 2 will be any easier, unless I get teleported to Kansas.

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations, Bill, on a successful day 1. I hope day 2 was equally successful. Phil

    ReplyDelete