Friday, August 27, 2010

Stage 12 -- Retired. [WAS 13, USA nil]

27 August 2010 – We moved 50.4 miles south on county roads of which I did 45 (minus 5 miles for skipping a gravel patch and two side to side movements). Aside from the rainout on day 4 (and discounting the 12 miles spent going in circles around Loon Lake) I have ridden and we have scouted roads every day. We have taken no breaks. Yesterday I asked Dad if he wanted to stay over in Lincoln as they were having a balloon festival. He wasn’t interested. I sense that he wants to get home as soon as possible (he worries when I am on these county roads) and all of this starting and stopping and looking for (oft missing) route and town signs is a bit disorienting. The best strategy is to send him down the road 6 minutes and pull over. That gives him time to walk the dog and read a little. I have averaged a little under 36 miles per day with the average still increasing. Today was all against a steady breeze on rough roads. I am tired. Scouting only took 5 minutes today as it is a straight shot on Nokomis Rd to Mulberry Grove. As we had time on our hands, Dad said it was time for new tires on the car. Walmart Supercenter here we come.

Thought for the day: Old girl friends whom you haven't contacted in 48 years do not stay in Taylorville.

1 comment:

  1. Hey,Bill. Good job! You're doing great. Tell your dad I said hi and we (Max, Meme and I) miss him. Tell him also that I checked the garden and it seems Rick is taking somewhat care of it. Suggestion: How about starting your blog entries out with "Clinton, IA" and then your diatribe? Just a thought. Good luck and enjoy the ride! Pam

    ReplyDelete