Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Stage 9 Disillinoisment [WAS-10, USA-nil]

24 August 2010 – Started the day in Mineral Point on 23, a nice road with adequate shoulders, and rode to Highway 11, then packed the bicycle and drove east to Monroe where we unpacked the bicycle and I took 69 to the border where 69 turned to IL 26. Dad and I had a mix-up about meeting – for two reasons. First, neither of us saw the state border signs, if they exist at all, and second because a town on the map (Oneco) never showed up on the road. Cell reception was terrible so I ended up going all the way to Freeport, where we are staying the night. On today’s ride I got an idea for a video for my brother Herb and will be collecting segments over the next day or two for the full-length version. All things considered, we met in Freeport early and went out scouting roads. What a depressing disaster! We could find no road with any paved shoulders, and all were narrow – not my cupa. We went shopping for cigars, got a room, showered and went to dinner. An internet session led to my signing up with Rails and Trails, and later finding a 60-mile trail along the big river. So tomorrow I will be somewhere between Clinton and the Quad cities. If all the Illinois roads are like those out of Freeport, this state will be depressing and I may have to switch over to Iowa and check their roads. I am still going to New Orleans.

Thought for the day: Some days are just days – there are no revelations. But that reminds me that I have to tell you about laundry and backpacking.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Bill, Enjoy following your travels, give Bill my love. We are in Utah visiting the kids. Tell me, what made you decide to start this adventure? Hugs. Taffy

    ReplyDelete