Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Stage 2 -- The Sheba makes the day [Score WAS-2 USA - nil]

16 August 2010 – My apologies for not posting yesterday. We were in an area that Verizon does not serve. What can I say. The day went pretty well, except I missed a paved bike path and had an extra five and a half miles on the road. Vroooom….Vrooom… I hear the cars and trucks going by in my sleep. Thankfully the shoulders are three to five feet wide. The wind is still blowing steadily at 25-35 mph (well maybe 20 with gusts up to 35. The ambient temperature has not reached 70 once since I started and the wind comes off the lake right into my face. It is very discourageng to have to pedal downhill. We are staying in motels, and those of you that know me know that I like things a certain way. It turns out both of my traveling companions are the same way. After packing up the car this morning, I checked the room, then I checked it again, then Dad checked it, then we took off. At the end of the ride we checked into Whispering Pines, then went to scout the road for tomorrow. When we got back to the room, Sam the Sheba Ihnu asked where her bed was. There was a fair amount of conversation between Dad and I as Sam looked on with that smug look of knowing what needs to be done. Sure enough, at 1930 we headed 44 m back up the coast and picked up her bed (a call confirmed it was there). A Sheba knows where she wants to sleep. In bed by 2200, I turned on the TV and encountered Dish TV -- I like it but I prefer Cox’s channel changing process – which I could not find on the Dish controller. That might be my shortcoming, not Dish’s.

Thought for the day: If you are pedaling into a wind, you are going way further than the miles indicated by the roadside markers. I can think of an analogy to taxes...

No comments:

Post a Comment