Friday, August 20, 2010

Stage 5 Steady on [Score WAS-6, USA-nil]

20 August 2010 – A thick fog replaced the predicted thundershowers so I modified the ride for the day. I skipped the first part of the ride which was to take place on a county road with narrow shoulders, and went straight to the Old Abe Trail. It was a straight shot to the Falls on an abandoned railroad bed – paved with asphalt and quite level. Not more than two miles down the trail a deer crossed my path, and not more than five minutes later I got a business call. The ring nearly made me jump, except I was clipped to the pedals and my butt is always too sore to want to jump. If I had been riding on the highway I would never have heard it ring, but the silence of the woods was only broken by quiet bird calls and occasional insect buzzing. Off to my right was a massive flowage. Today there were no changes in stopping points as Dad could only go two places to intersect my ride. He made them okay, but we are agreed that we will discuss the next stopping point each time we meet up. There are two aspects of the Tour that I appreciate more here than when I was planning it. First, at my age and in my condition I find myself willing to compromise on what roads I will ride, what weather I will ride in, and how far I will push my body. Second, traveling with a 92-year-old father reveals his aging in many little ways. I have adjusted pretty well to his poor hearing, but have been surprised by some unexpected moments of forgetfulness. He recognizes this fact and is working with me so that the rides are not disrupted. Though I did not plan it so (as much as I planned anything about this trip) the Tour seems to be more about my Dad and I than about waterballoons.

Thought for the day: Let the mosque be built where they wish it, then build and evangelical Christian church, a Taoist/Buddhist temple right next to it on the left, and a Jewish synagogue and a Greek Orthodox church right next to it on the right.

Reply to Frank F -- Yes water everywhere and I mean everywhere. I don't know how long this Tour will last but I doubt I can help you reach the 20 pound goal, and I am looking forward to breakfasts again.

No comments:

Post a Comment